Holocaust Memorial Day – 27th January 2013
Bristol Communities Build a Bridge: Remembering the Holocaust and subsequent genocides and turning lessons learned into action in our city
Salaam Shalom formed part of the Holocaust Memorial Day (HMD) steering group in Bristol, and helped shape the planning of the city’s event of commemoration for HMD, with workshops provided by Bristol City of Sanctuary, Bristol Refugee Rights, Society Against Racist Incidents (SARI), Somali Development Group, Bristol Museums, VOSCUR and Bristol Multifaith Forum.
Salaam Shalom ran a workshop entitled ‘Resistance and The Role We Play in Preventing Genocide’, as part of a series of workshops exploring past and recent acts of genocide and asking ‘what have we learnt?’, showcasing how groups around the city are working together and have built bridges.
This event has informed the development of our Resistance project, working with schools to equip young people with the skills and confidence to become active Resistors of identity-based intolerance.
Background on Holocaust Memorial Day
- · The first Holocaust Memorial Day (HMD) commemoration in the UK took place in 2001.
- · Holocaust Memorial Day takes place on 27January each year, the date of liberation of the Auschwitz Concentration Camp.
- · On HMD we share the memory of the millions who have been murdered in the Holocaust and subsequent genocides in Cambodia, Rwanda, Bosnia and Darfur in order to challenge hatred and persecution in the UK today.
- · Holocaust Memorial Day provides an opportunity for everyone to learn lessons from the Holocaust, Nazi persecution and subsequent genocides and apply them to the present day to create a safer, better future.
- · The theme for Holocaust Memorial Day for 2013 is ‘Communities Together Build a Bridge.’ Readers and viewers are invited to build their own bridge online here: http://buildabridge.hmd.org.uk/
- Further information can be found at the HMD Trust website www.hmd.org.uk.